So, confession…until last week I hadn’t truly baked in way too long, which I’m sure is evident by my lack of posting lately. I mean, I’ve made chocolate chip cookies here and there, but that doesn’t really count because I could probably do that in my sleep. I have been craving a marathon baking sesh. I’m talking flour on my shirt, chocolate on my hands and a sink full of dirty mixing bowls.
The truth is that there hasn’t been much time for baking lately. After moving to New York City, I have wanted to spend as much time as possible exploring and that has meant less time in the kitchen. The endless list of restaurants and bakeries at my fingertips definitely hasn’t helped that either. Now that I am truly settled in, though, I hope to get back to posting on a more regular basis. The only downside to my recent move is the lack of space to store my absurd collections of cookie cutters, cake plates and sprinkles. Luckily, my parents have allowed me to store a lot of it at their house for now and it has been a fun challenge to bake with limited tools and supplies.
During a recent weekend home I spent a full day baking and photographing new recipes and I couldn’t have been happier. It was one of the first warm and sunny days of the season and I immediately wanted to celebrate by making something with ice cream. Given that there is no room for my waffle cone maker in the city, I figured I might as well use it while at home and ended up with homemade choco tacos, a classic ice cream truck favorite. There are so many new recipes that I am dying to share right now, but this one had to make it to the top of the list with Memorial Day coming up. How fun would it be to serve these at a BBQ this weekend?? Add in some frozen margaritas and there is no better way to celebrate the start of summer!
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- sprinkles or chopped nuts for decoration (optional)
- Preheat waffle cone maker.
- Beat the egg, egg white and salt in a small bowl until well blended. Beat in the sugar and beat until sugar is incorporated and the egg has lightened in color slightly, about 1 minute. Add the flour and stir slowly, until all combined. Finally, add the melted butter and beat for about 30 seconds.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of batter into the center of your waffle iron and follow waffle make instructions. Immediately after removing waffle cone from heat, fold in half, leaving room in the middle so that you form a taco shell shape. You can hold it like this for several minutes, or stand the taco shell up in-between two books until it hardens (this should only take a few minutes).
- Once the shell is completely cool, fill with softened ice cream and place the entire taco in the freezer for an hour. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a glass bowl set over a pot of boiling water. When the tacos are ready, dip the tops of them in the melted chocolate and garnish with sprinkles or chopped nuts. Place back in the freezer and store in the freezer until ready to enjoy.