I’m usually not great about baking holiday themed treats early enough to share them with you before the actual holiday, but this time around I have not one, but TWO Valentine’s Day treats prepared. I love any holiday centered around candy and chocolate, but I especially love any opportunity to bake something heart shaped and covered in sprinkles.
These cookies are so much fun to make and really fairly simple to decorate. I actually used the same sugar cookie dough that I used for the fudge striped cookies…it’s one of my favorite recipes for making cut out sugar cookies. The sprinkles adhere to the finished cookie with a little brush of corn syrup in the shape of a heart. I used a smaller heart cookie cutter and a paintbrush to brush the cookie with corn syrup and then added a heaping spoonful of sprinkles.
I brought the finished cookies to the little girls I babysit and they were very excited to pick out their favorite colors amongst all of the sprinkles before quickly devouring them. There’s just something about sprinkles though…they always manage to elicit that giddy, elated feeling no matter how old you get.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 egg
- Light Corn Syrup
- (small paintbrush)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar together on high speed for about 1 minute. Add the egg and mix until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix on low until fully combined.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface, until about 1/2" thick. Cut out heart shapes.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, until just slightly browned.
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, place a smaller heart shaped cookie cutter in the center of a cookie. Use a small paintbrush to paint a thin layer of corn syrup inside the cookie cutter. Drop a spoonful of sprinkles inside the cookie cutter and shake the cookie around a bit to distribute the sprinkles, while holding the cookie cutter in place. Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to a week.